Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The comma dilemma

There's a sentence to translate, and there's a comma missing there. This doesn't prevent me from understanding the sentence, but my parser fails. In another version of the same text found online the comma is present. It's only missing in the one I've found long ago which I'm trying to translate literally.

So here's the dilemma:

  • Add the comma according to the Russian rules and parse the correct text,   or
  • Remember that I'm trying to simulate humans for whom extra commas are not a big deal, and dive right away into the wonderful world of parsing noisy input without proper understanding how to deal with correct one.


No idea.

UPD. In the end I corrected the commas in the original sentence, and added failing tests to fix later with all kinds of comma omissions.

No comments: